.

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Grow Box

Over Spring Break my dad helped me build a grow box, so I could plant a garden. He had built one for himself that was 8 ft. by 4 ft, but I decided I probably didn't need that much room to start out, so we built a 4 ft. by 4 ft. grow box for my backyard. It turned out absolutely amazing if I do say so myself. Once we got it built, all we had to do was make our special soil mixture and get it all ready to plant. I planted tomatoes, peppers, radishes, carrots, green onions, cilantro, zucchini, spaghetti squash, peas, swiss chard, and spinach. It was a little bit of a process, but totally worth it. Thanks Dad...It's Absolutely Amazing!!!

After we built the box we lined it with plastic...
...installed a drainage system...

...poured all the different ingredients onto a tarp...

...mixed them all together...

...shoveled it into the box and watered it down...

...layer by layer until it was full...

...sectioned it off into 1 foot sections...

...and ta-da, the finished product!
I forgot to take pictures after I got everything planted so I will have to get some of all the beautiful plants in my garden. In fact, I already have little radishes sprouting. I am so excited for my little garden. Now I will just have to wait and see what happens!

2 comments:

Kristen Mortensen said...

What is Swiss Chard? And just for the record you truly amaze me and I am very jealous that it is warm enough to start gardening because here in Logan we are still getting snow, snow, and more snow. I miss you terribly

emily said...

You are neat! You are amazing! I love you and am so impressed with your grow box.