.

Friday, August 22, 2008

Bye Bye Bessie

Well I can’t believe it, but we finally said goodbye to Bessie (aka Christine). Even though she has been a pain in my side ever since the day I bought her, I must say that it was a little sad to see her go. When I think back on it, she was probably more trouble than she was worth. Her speedometer rarely worked, the gas gauge was useless, her paint was peeling off, she squeaked when it rained, she was in the shop more times than I can count, she was broken into on several occasions, and she left me stranded more times than I would care to admit. I don’t have very good luck with cars…

White Sunbird – My sister was so kind and let me use her car when she went to college. Right before my 16th birthday some little punk was cruising down our street and ran into our parked car. Tragic, but she wasn’t dead yet. My dad, being the handy man he is, fixed her up for me. She was doing fantastic until one day on my way to school I threw a rod and killed her. It was a very sad day!

Blue Van – Even though I commonly referred to it as the Big Blue Beast, it was the perfect car for carting all my friends around in high school. Big Blue gave me a few fits…like when she overheated and left me walking on the side of the road (this was before everyone had a cell phone.) Even with her faults, I still had a good time with her and was sad to see her go when I finally ran her into the ground and she just couldn’t go any further. She had to be towed away :(

Mercury Tracer – I think this was my most tragic/traumatizing loss. Martha the Tracer died way before her time! This was my first real car…I bought her with only 7 miles on it. I took such good care of her, and changed her oil on a regular basis. Everything was going wonderfully, until one fateful day in May…I was driving home from Cedar City and I went off the road, over-corrected, and slammed her into a cement barrier by Leeds. It was a very sudden and violent death and I still get really sad when I think about it.

Plymouth Neon – Oh Bessie! I think that Martha the Tracer was paying me back for the way she died. I got Bessie, because (a) I needed a car (b) someone I kinda knew needed to get rid of their car because they needed a four door car, and (c) it seemed like a good idea at the time. I learned my lesson…1 Don’t buy a car because you need something quick. 2 Don’t just buy a car to help someone else. Buy it because you want it. 3 Don’t ever buy a Dodge, Plymouth, or Chrysler! (Sorry if I have offended anyone, but I was not impressed on several different levels). I had her for quite awhile…just when you thought she was out for the count; she would be revived to ride again. Bessie definitely had a personality of her own.

Sayonara Bessie and Good Riddance

2 comments:

Kristen Mortensen said...

I miss Bessie already. Where did you take her? I have so many good memories of all of your cars. You taught me how to drive in the Sunbird. The blue van held everything and the kitchen sink. I remember shampooing the carpets in the Tracer. And Bessie...I remember so much about Bessie. Like when you used to run out of gas all the time because of the gas gage and those old ladies picked you up. I miss Bessie...she was a beast!

emily said...

Oh poor Bessie. I miss her so much. It just isn't going to be the same not seeing her with her peeling paint and when you had to run the heater in the summer so she wouldn't overheat. Good times! :) YOu really don't have any luck when it comes to cars.